Updated: Apr 2
It's officially spring, but here in NY; winter is still breathing it's last dying breath. That means that the heater is still on, and my legs are feeling similar to reptile skin. #truestory
Luckily this little DIY body butter is easy to whip up, has a shelf life of 6-12 months and is super moisturizing for my thirsty skin!
Speaking of skin, did you know that properly moisturized skin looks and feels younger then dry skin? With that said, here's the recipe for my favorite body butter lotion!
4 oz Organic Shea Butter
2 tbs Organic Jojoba Oil
1/2 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/2 tsp Arrowroot Powder
15 drops therapeutic grade essential oil
1. Combine Shea butter and Jojoba oil in double boiler.
2. Once melted, remove from heat and place in the freezer for about 20 minutes. It should just be starting to harden around the edges and top when it's ready to remove.
3. While this is cooling in the freezer, in a separate bowl combine your vitamin E oil and arrowroot powder, using a fork.
4. When mixture in the freezer is ready to remove, add arrowroot and vitamin E mix to it. Use a hand mixer to blend well. This should take about 5 minutes.
5. Add essential oils of your choice and mix into whipped butter.
6. Place in a 4 oz jar. A little goes a long way!!
Favorite Scent Combinations:
Lavender & Lemon
Lavender & Frankincense
Peace & Calming
Joy & Orange
Lime & Vanilla
A few notes to consider when creating or making homemade products:
*Use glass because it better preserves and protects the oils. Dark or colored glass is always better than clear glass because oils can be damaged by the UV rays allowed to penetrate a clear glass bottle. *Vitamin E contains natural preservative qualities. Not only is it great for your skin, but it will lengthen the shelf life of your homemade products. My favorites! This blog contains affiliate links which help me run this site at no extra cost to you! I only recommend favorite products that I have personally used and loved and I always search for the best prices to pass along to you. I also only use and recommend therapeutic grade essential oils. I use Young Living oils which can be purchased through this link. If you'd like to learn more about why I've chosen this brand in particular, use this link to check out my blog post talking about essential oils.