I've been a lip balm addict for as long as I can remember. I have a spare in just about every room of the house, one in each jacket pocket, one in the car, one in each bag/purse, one in my robe pocket, I could go on and on. Anyone else?
Everyone wants soft, kissable lips, and if you're anything like my 6 year old, you want them to be shiny/glittery too, lol!
Here's the thing... there is SO much junk in your normal, store bought balms and glosses, and it is SO easy to make this stuff yourself with just a few ingredients. You can flavor them HOWEVER you want. You can color them if you wish! They make excellent gifts for people, and they are SO incredibly cheap to make! #frugalmama
I'm talking less than .50 from start to finish for your average tube of homemade lip balm y'all!
So without further ado, check out my favorite recipes below!
This is usually the beginning point for people. It was one of the first things I attempted when I started making homemade goodies! I usually keep my flavor combinations relatively basic, but you can get really crazy creative with these. Empty lip balm tubes are inexpensive and varied in color so you can get them to suit your personality. A lot of them come with labels that you can use, or make your own if you want to get extra fancy. I've done it both ways!
2.5 tbs Organic Coconut Oil (the solid variety)
1.5 tbs Organic White Beeswax Pellets (you can use yellow too, I just prefer white for my lip balms)
10 drops Vitamin E (if you wish)
Natural Flavorings (if you wish)
Mica Color (if you wish)
1. Combine coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler (I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup in a boiling pot of water) and melt.
2. While you wait, open up about a dozen lip balm tubes and line them up on your counter so they're ready.
3. Remove from heat and add Vitamin E (if you wish). Vitamin E helps moisturize your lips further, reduces damage from free radicals (UV rays and pollution).
4. Add flavorings if you wish, mica color if you wish, and essential oils.
5. Stir thoroughly.
6. Using a pipette, suck up your mixture and add to your lip balm tubes. I add about half to each tube, then add more, then more. Beeswax shrinks a bit as it hardens, so expect that you will have to top them off as they harden in the tubes.
7. Label them and gift them!!
**To make your lip balm with SPF simply add 1 tsp Non-Nanonized Zinc Oxide. Make sure to stir thoroughly and continue to stir as your fill up the tubes so it is evenly distributed and doesn't sink to the bottom. Doing this should provide about 15 SPF protection.**
Margarita: Coconut Flavor, 10 drops Lime EO, 5 drops Stress Away EO
Lavender: 15 drops Lavender
Tropical Rose: Pomegranate Flavor, 8 drops Joy (or Geranium) EO, 7 drops Citrus Fresh EO
Chocolate Mint: Chocolate Flavor, 15 drops Peppermint EO
Apple Spice: Apple Flavor, 15 drops Thieves EO
Autumn Leaves: Orange Flavor, 15 drops Thieves EO (this one is great for preventing cold sores)